ABOUT THE ARTIST
David Slivka (1914-2010) was one of the last remaining members of the first generation of American Abstract Expressionist artists. Known as both a painter and sculptor, he worked in a variety of mediums, from ink, crayon, and water color, to clay, granite, bronze, and wood.
In the early 1960s, Slivka did a series of rapid ink paintings. In the 1970s, he continued this work in ink, creating a series of large, organic, curvilinear abstract paintings. Some are in vivid tones; others in graphic black and white. Several of the pieces from this era were sold to the New York Port Authority and some were destroyed in the Twin Towers bombing on 9/11.
Slivka was born in Chicago and studied at the Art Institute of Chicago. He spent most of his adult life living and working in Greenwich Village, in New York City. He was part of what came to be known as The New York School, along with William DeKooning, Jackson Pollack, Louise Bourgeois, Robert Motherwell, and many others. During the 50’s, he and his wife made their way to the Springs, on the East End of Long Island, joining other abstract expressionists (such as Pollack and DeKooing) who’d migrated from the Village. Slivka’s deep connection to nature and art would fuse with this area for the next sixty years.
Slivka exhibited widely during his life, in galleries and museums across the country. His work remains in many public collections, including the Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn, NY; the Hirschhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington, DC; Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN; Baltimore Museum, Baltimore, MD; Rutgers University; Camden, NJ; University of Pennsylvannia, Philadelphia, NY; National Museum of Wale, Cardiff, Wales, among others.